---- Our Rules ----
(This has been updated to cover and clarify a larger area of potential issues. Rules are subject to change if we find players using loopholes to abuse them. Finally, a DM may make a ruling on something not listed if it is questionable - As long as the situation is shared with the other staff members)
- STAFF SWITCHING - Players who are found going to different staff members with the same issue because one staff member told them 'no' is against the rules. You are not to go to different DMs if one DM tells you no on an issue, trying to get a yes from someone else.
- PERMAKILLING - Only you, the player, have the right to say when your character should (if ever) be permakilled. It cannot be enforced upon you by another player. There are exceptions to this when a particular character has become a known villain, and does something to warrant such a fate. This can only be done by a DM through events with consent granted ahead of time. A new character may be granted if it is destroyed in this particular instance.
- CHARACTER DESCRIPTIONS - It is strongly recommended that you work on a description for your characters. Descriptions are tools many people use for determining RP compatibility, and not having one can adversely impact your ability to find RP. You are responsible for the listing of your own lights. Only if someone violates your listed lights do you have any option for DM recourse. It is also advisable to ask the other player before indulging in extreme fetishes not listed in their lights. You, as a player, have the right to remove yourself from any sexual situation which makes you uncomfortable OOCly. These are primarily IC spaces used to further enhance RP. This is not a place for folks to vent about their OOC dislikes against certain character types or players in a hostile manner, AKA bashing. People read descriptions for the IC info, not what pisses you off OOCly. If a Description is found to be particularly offensive, you may be told to adjust it.
- SERVER/STAFF BASHING - We are more than happy to explain the reasoning for rules, events, changes, or general ideas but we aren't going to tolerate insults or mockery. Simply because you may not like something/someone doesn't mean we're going to act as a whipping post for your frustrations. This covers all areas - Chat channels, tells, and so forth.
B. CHARACTER CREATION/MODIFICATION
- CHILD CHARACTERS or NPC's - Because of our environment and to prevent complications, NO child representation is welcome on Sinfar.
- CLONING - You may only have ONE active version of a character in your vault at any one time. Switching between several versions of the same character is against the rules. This includes both renaming characters and possessing/controlling other characters in your vault that represent one character's will. This also means characters cannot have the same names as each other, IE twins with the same surname not giving at least their first initial. UPDATED.
- CHARACTER REMAKES - We do not do XP transfers. So if you mucked up your level one stats you'll have to re-roll yourself. [Items can be transferred via bank]
- CHARACTER NAMES - Characters cannot be given names that incorporate discrimination, racial slang, derogatory or inflammatory religious or political commentary, or historic or figures from RL current events. It is not permitted to copy cat the names of existing Sinfar characters. It is also <i>encouraged</i> to avoid using the names of famous characters.
- STAFF ACCOUNT NAMES - Account names starting with "DM" are illegal. Anyone using them will be asked to change such. This is for active staff members only.
- UNTARGETTABLE APPEARANCES, and Characters Z shifted below ground level - This will be punished with immediate character deletion if any player is caught doing this.
- DISRUPTIVE APPEARANCES/TROLL CHARACTERS - While we promote and strongly encourage individuality here on Sinfar, there's also a line in which a creative idea becomes an interruption to RP.
C. HARASSMENT (IC AND OOC)
- STALKING - You are not to follow another player around with the intention of disrupting their RP. You also must ALWAYS acquire PERMISSION to enter PRIVATE areas such as player housing or tavern/inn rooms. PSA on harassment and stalking: viewtopic.php?f=268&t=14248
- UNWANTED TELLS - You have the right to ignore tells, but if they persist and are not welcome you need to inform the player NOT to send you any more tells and document this with a screenshot (Capturing the whole exchange of tells after you tell them to stop). After telling the person to stop, do not reply to anything they might say afterwards. In your REST MENU>GENERAL TOOLS>TELL BLOCK is a feature you may use at your convenience.
- UNWANTED EMOTE-ANIMATIONS - Spamming voice emotes, bartering, and animations of any kind against a person or people can be considered harassment if you don't stop when asked to OOCly.
- TROLLING - This section is reserved for anything that may be missed which is not mentioned above that can be used to disrupt other players. We are not in the business of flogging players/characters we dislike, every case is reviewed by all staff members.
D. ROLE PLAYING
- NO PEDOPHILIA - Performing any type RP sexually involving an underage character. (Doesn't matter the character race, each character must be of the proper maturity - 18 years or older). This will result in an IMMEDIATE ban.
- FOUL LANGUAGE USE - While it is completely fine to curse and use all sorts of curses in character, it is important to keep in mind this is a fantasy setting.
- SCAT/TOILET PLAY - These cannot take place on any level - IC or OOC in a public place. If you absolutely must participate in things of this nature, take it to a private location.
- FOREIGN LANGUAGES - The primary language on the server is English. Any other languages may be used but only in whispers or in private areas. For those not of a native English tongue may use the translator on the web client to help. Just do your best. (NOTE: EXCEPTION TO THIS IS ON THE SERVER ARCHE TERRE - French is their secondary language)
- ACRONYMNS - Things like "lol" and "k bbl" are not acceptable. Any place NOT clearly labelled OOC requires RP.
- RP COMBAT ROLLS - You need consent from the opposing player if you are going to use stat/skill rolls against them when it comes to offensive/aggressive actions. This system doesn't exist to abuse your +20 strength mod, or render you untouchable with your +20 dexterity mod. It is to enhance RP for certain situations.
E. TRAFFIC LIGHTS
- The traffic light system works on the basis of SSC (safe and sane conduct) A player is entitled to list their lights in their bios and on the forums. These WILL be respected by players; intentional violation of the light system can result in a instantaneous ban for a variable length of time or even permanently.
- The light system can be used to effectively detail what you, as a player; enjoy/don't care for.
- This, however, has limits; such being you CAN'T red light a player/character, staff, PVP, IC repercussions, etc. The light system APPLIES DIRECTLY and SPECIFICALLY to ADULT THEMED SITUATIONS, and cannot be used to report a player unless it is a direct violation of unwanted adult theme.
- Examples of adult themed situations include: Rape, any intercourse in general, dislike of certain genders, sexual torture; things of this nature.
RED Lights - These are things that the player wishes to have no part of in their role-play.
YELLOW Lights - These are things that may or may not make the player uncomfortable depending upon their mood at the time.
GREEN Lights - Things that tend to be universally enjoyed by the player.
F. PLAYER VERSUS PLAYER (PVP)
- MINDLESS PVP - All PVP needs RP prior to the engagement. Being Chaotic Evil is not an excuse to attack someone without warning. Being a Paladin is not an excuse to attack Demons or Devils on sight. There needs to be some form of interaction between the characters before PvP can ensue. If there's a questionable situation, you must screenie any and all RP (Or lack thereof) leading up to the conflict. (For Dreaded Lands & Arche Terre : Please refer to the rules posted on the forums in the subsection for them. Dread is not a Free-For-All arena server.)
- REQUEST SPAMMING - Repeated requests for PvP at any one time might constitute harassment. If a DM is called to investigate, we will speak to each party involved and see if there's a valid reasoning for the PvP requests. In areas that do not have consent options, if you spam dislike to disrupt ongoing PvP then it is considered exploiting.
- CONSEQUENCES - The PvP Rules do not give a character/player the right to keep taunting someone, knowing they are untouchable due the PvP Consent System/Rules. It is possible to override the PvP Consent in the marked areas if 3 unique people (The PVP system prevents the same player from using multiple accounts to override.) in your party toggle dislike on another character repeatedly. This should ONLY be used as a last resort given the aforementioned reason. PSA on overrides/consequences: viewtopic.php?f=268&t=16082
- LOGGING OFF/SWITCHING CHARACTERS - If you do this to avoid PvP after initiating/engaging it upon other characters, you may be subject to punishment. Same applies to logging out or switching when your character is about to lose.
- DEFEAT - Whether you re-spawn, or arise from subdual after engaging in PvP with another person, you must wait at least 30 MINUTES before reengaging with PvP. You are not to run off to rest and come back after losing. This does not give you the right to get up from Subdual or a re-spawn and continue to provoke other characters via RP either. Your character lost and needs to accept that. It can be considered harassment if this occurs.
- DM EVENTS - Participating in a DM managed event or plot you recognize the fact that you are open to potential PvP. You still have the rights to your traffic lights and even the DMs MUST respect those.
- ASSASSINATIONS - Just because someone hired your character to attack another does not give you a free pass on doing so. You need OOC permission to jump someone. This can be done through a DM to preserve the assassin's identity and may be best if the DM also monitors the situation. If you are -informed- about an impending assassination, you should not metagame this and buff up or immediately flee the area.
- TRANSITION HOPPING - This is where you move back and forth between transitions or abuse transitions to gain an advantage in PvP.
- RESIZED FORMS/APPEARANCES - Using any skin smaller than a halfling (3'4") in PvP is ILLEGAL.
- GRIEVING - This is when a player decides to take revenge on another player through PvP. It is an OOC engagement guised as RP. Switching to another character to taunt someone into combat. If any of these are suspected or reported, a DM will investigate and review logs/screenies.
G. CHAT CHANNEL USE
http://nwn.sinfar.net/dynamic_text.php? ... T_CHANNELS
- Pornography - While Sinfar is an adult server, the public chat channels and web client are not to be used to share links for pornography or other NSFW material. Any links that contain content that could violate Sinfar server rules will require us to punish the players accordingly. (NOTE: We realize there's a lot of NSFW portraits, so if you find yourself finding opinions on such if would be best to mention you want opinions and to send you tells for those interested in seeing it)
- GROUP/KINK BASHING - Publically bashing/mocking/taunting groups of characters (Furries, Transgenders, Catlings, etc) or various fetishes (I really don't want to list any) is not to be tolerated. You'll get a warning for doing so. There's a difference between saying "I don't really like this type of RP/ERP" and "People who do this are disgusting inhuman monsters."
- DISCRIMINATION - Like the rule above, please refrain from using any offensive slang against any particular RL group of people based on their race, ethnicity, gender, religion, etc.
- SPAM - The chat channels exist to increase communication among players, not for one or two players to post trollish/silly messages in rapid fire sequence, nor is it okay to provide a detailed walkthrough of a game you're playing or movie you're watching. If things get a bit excessive you'll be reminded to ease up. (NOTE: For the EVENT CHANNEL - One post per 1 hour regarding a single event.)
- ROLE PLAYING - Besides the channels that can be used for IC postings (Event, Action, Sex, etc) you should not be RPing out scenes or various situations with other players. Find them IG and have fun!
- HARASSMENT - Should be rather obvious. Calling someone out by their player name or character name in a negative light. This isn't a place to gossip.